Ireland

Ireland
My favorite picture of the Irish countryside

06 October 2010

Getting it together

I have an advisor and I may have a topic! Yay! Now I just have to buckle down and do it.
My advisor is the Early Irish History coordinator Elva Johnston. She's really great (she teaches the Early Irish Civilisation class I'm taking). I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do and she was actually kind of excited that I only had a general idea (I ditched the two ideas I wrote about before). I told her I was very interested in the mythology and what aspects of the mythology were incorporated into Christianity. She immediately had the idea of working on St. Brigid. I was thinking, oh great, and how exactly am I going to prove or disprove that she was really a person (there's speculation that St. Brigid is simply the Christian manifestation of the goddess Brigid). What I'm actually going to do is focus on the Vita Prima (the life of Brigid) and note the mythological aspects in the work. My paper will then be on why those aspects were incorporated and not on whether or not she is real.

I can't believe a month has passed since I moved to Ireland! Granted, I went home for a week of that month, but still. I really need to get a routine down so it will be easier when it comes time to write my Proposal (3,000 words...just on the proposal...oh boy...)

My Irish ending this time is the link to a YouTube video - the Muppets doing Danny Boy:

2 comments:

  1. St. Brigid......Interesting subject. Can I read your paper when you're finished? Love the muppets! This is one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! They've already told us it has to be good so I'm sure mine will be brilliant! ;)
    This version of Danny Boy is definitely my fave!

    ReplyDelete