Ireland

Ireland
My favorite picture of the Irish countryside

14 May 2009

Wow - it's been awhile! I wish I could say I haven't posted on here because I've been working on my papers, but we all know that didn't happen! Somehow time just slips away from me, and before I know it, I have an essay due in 4 days that I've barely started on. Here's what I have been doing the past few weeks.
Kelsey's people arrived 9 May. We proceeded to spend the next 4 days travelling and frequenting pubs. Our first trip was on 10 May when we went to the Aran Islands. If you ever get the chance, go! They are so beautiful. Viviane and I were very happy because we could get the gist of a lot of the signs that were in Irish. We did a biking tour around Inismore (the big island). If you can ride a bike, do this tour! I'm sure the bus tour is just as good, but I really enjoyed biking around. I did get to experience my first ferry ride on this trip. It made me a little queezy. . . the return trip was much better, probably because I slept for most of it.
On 12 May we went on a tour of Connemara. That was also very cool. The region has lots of mountains and many examples of what Irish life used to be like. It was very interesting to go on small mountain roads in a big tour bus. . . we met another bus once, and I wasn't sure we were both going to stay on the road!
Sadly, those are the only days we were doing anything all day so I don't know why I am so behind on my papers. Obviously, if they're not due in the next week, I don't pay attention to them! On another sad note, Kelsey went home the 13th. It was much harder to say goodbye than I anticipated. It's funny to think I've seen these people almost every day for the past 4 1/2 months, and now they're going to live roughly 1,500 miles from me. That's really depressing. It's going to be very bittersweet when my family comes because, although it will be exciting to see them, I know I have to go back with them. I'm not ready to leave Ireland. I'm just getting settled, and now, it's time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment